Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Reflecting on the Summer Solstice

It's been a few weeks now but given why i began this blog i thought i should post something. The summer solstice, also known as Litha and Midsummer, is the longest day of the year. A day when we celebrate God is the guise of the Sun at the hight of his power. We mark and celebrate the vibrancy of life in high summer and the triumph of light, the waxing year. But there i also the passing of this year and the dawning of the waning year at sunset. 

I found myself in Florida quite unexpectedly and as was the case the trip made a good example of the true nature of my path. I had no candles or incense, no altar and no tools for a traditional ritual. To compound this little privacy given company present at the time. But still I sat back in amazement of the life around me. The sun was bright and hot, 98 degrees outside and inside since the air conditioner was broken, and for the first time ever, all of our crape myrtles were in bloom, bright and red.

I spend the morning weeding with my uncle and mother in the front. this vine had almost overtaken the entire front garden... it was remarkable, and we even cleaned the gutters. we celebrated our triumph with ice cream from DQ afterwards, and a trip to Walmart. The ideas I had for my garden back home... if only. But i got an eco-binder and spent the afternoon converting it into a screw post book.



It was going to be my new Bos but i had left the posts home. It ended up being a prototype but for five dollars and some patience it turned out well. I'll post instructions when i make the next one.

While it was drying I designed a new Solstice Illustration for my sabbat page, that I still have to scan... webcam pic below 


The night was exciting as a torrential rains fell over the house, i just stood out on our lanai offering a silent prayer of thanks and hope. I have a lot to be thankful for, even if i rarely say so. the feeling of the warm summer rain was beautiful and very relaxing. It was a simple moment, personal and important to me. I closed my eyes feeling the rain on my face and asked the gods to give me a sign that they heard me and would watch over us; thunder rumbled in the distance. I took it to heart and sat back to watch the thunder storm. I've always loved the storms in Florida and it lasted through till morning.

I guess my lesson for readers is simply that it isn't the props or the spells that make one a witch, its something deeper, something in your soul that calls to nature. Something that cannot be summed up here save for a closeness to the earth and a wounder found in the eyes of children.

No comments:

Post a Comment