Wednesday, July 27, 2011

A Day in Downtown Salem

Hey guys, well, anyone actually reading these.. >.< Anyways, after many years and some finagling i got to spend the day in Salem, Ma. with one of my closest friends. She lives there and made it a point to give me a grand tour since the last time i saw the sites was about 15 or so years prior. Didn't go to the museum but the shops more than made up for it. We grabbed lunch at a Thai place, Bangkok Paradise, excellent Pad Thai, and it doubles as a club at night... i grabbed a flier. After that we hit the shops and i can tell you it took almost all my self control not to just buy everything in sight and i had a goal to maintain. store to store i was mesmerized by the music and the sights, the curios and the candles, some things i had only seen on the Internet, Dryad Design plaques for example. And chime candles, no where else have i seen so many, usually they're ridiculously hard to find.

Of note was the bookstore we stopped in. She warned me before going in, knowing how much i love books and i couldnt believe my eyes. Picture it, columns of books stacked and piled high from floor to ceiling with little hallways where they left voids. it was like a hoarders paradise of books. just be careful how you pull them out or a book-a-lanch will ensue. i ended up grabbing one, "Celebrate the Earth" from Laurie Cabot. I thought that with Lughnasadh around the corner some light reading would inspire me. As to Cabot, i paid a visit to her shop while in Salem. Understandable i know there is some dissension about her but without meeting the woman i can only go by her creation. The shop is quiet and actually quite beautiful though the particular incense burning was a bit much for my lungs. I left a bit dizzy but really no worse for the wear.

We stopped at a goth boutique too, trying on all manner of hats and victorian coats. I personally loved one that reminded me of Lestat from the Vampire Chronicles and Sam then got me into a tail coat. ahh, if i only had an extra 500 bucks. But anyways, after much speculation i did buy a fedora, the only one that ive ever found that didnt give me the diamondy pilgrim look. So that brings me to my shopping conclusion, the reason i saved my money to begin with. i planned to buy a proper cauldron. id been using a ceramic vase that was roughly the same shape and size. good for scrying and seasonal fruit but not for much else. so i bought it in a leather shop if that doesnt beat all. its a harry potjin 6" x 6" potbell and i got it for 23 dollars without a lid. The seller had pre-seasoned it with olive oil which meant little to me at the time. considering how i intend to use it i doubt there will be much cooking being done, though i would love to learn how to use it like that it will most likely serve the same as my old pot except that now i can use it as a seasonal fire pot and to burn paper during ritual.

Thats really all there is for now, for take care all, and if you get a chance, go to Salem, if nothing else its a lot of fun! 
     

No comments:

Post a Comment