Sunday, July 31, 2011

Lughnasadh - Lammas

The harvest time has come again, raise your glasses high. The day has come, the horn it sounds, Lughnasadh is nigh. Gather round the fires bright and dance and sing with mirth. Gather round with family true and bake the breads of rye. The sun is strong and hot and bright though the year is waning on, rejoice in skill and talents true, for this is the festival shining bright; this is the day of Lugh.

So for many of us Lughnasadh started at sundown today and continues into tomorrow until sunset, but the time of the celebration is not what i find to be important, rather that we celebrate in the truest form that our hearts are capable. For me, as the grandson of a candlemaker i enjoyed a ritual I've neglected for too long. my grandfather left me with a glass candle that I re-pour annually as my representative on my altar. its one of my dearest possessions.
 I'll be trimming the wick during the ritual ive planned to rededicate the candle's purpose and again i apologizes for the date tag. while the wax was setting i was getting nostalgic and decided to break out the old salt dough recipe for a new alter tile. 




I was a little impatient, and as I'm sure anyone who's worked with this stuff can tell, it takes a long time to set up. it was already late and hot in the house so i really ddnt want to use the oven. so i chanced using the microwave. It actually worked pretty well, but i had to stop because the center was starting to bubble. It wont be ready for painting tomorrow but i doubt the Gods will hold it against me. i was debating whether or not to carve or paint it after, might do both, but ill blog about it after.

So until the morrow blessed be. ill post pics of my own and my household altars tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment